AI BootCamp (Module 1 Crash Course)
Machine learning model that can sort images
Natural Language Processing 7
Machine learning model that can recognise natural language commands
Recommendation Systems 6
Machine learning model that can recommend the reading age of a book based on data about the book
Decisions and Ethics 4
Presentation or report summarising key points
Machine Learning Algorithms 12
In this session we will be looking at some of the algorithms that make machine learning possible.
(Optional) Python and Orange 3
Data visualiastions using Orange Python code for importing data and running machine learning algorithms (decision trees and kNN)
- Identity check e.g. unlocking your phone, checking in at the airport
- Security e.g. scanning crowds entering a pop concert to spot potential terrorists
- Police support – scanning people in the street for wanted criminals
What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of using facial recognition technology?
FaceApp uses machine learning algorithms to alter people’s faces with various filters. Users take or upload a photo from their phone and the app’s algorithms do the rest. You can make yourself look younger or older, swap your gender, or transform your expression.
However concerns have been raised about FaceApp’s terms of service, which state that when you use the app you grant it a “perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide” license to do whatever it wants with your photos.
You don’t even have to upload anything to the internet yourself for your photo to end up training AI technology. It has been reported that the University of Colorado had secretly been photographing students for a facial recognition study. Images of more than 1,700 people were collected without their knowledge or consent. Those photos went into a dataset used for training facial recognition algorithms. The funding for this dataset came from US intelligence and military agencies.
This video (3 minutes, 19s) discusses concerns raised over police trials of facial recognition technology. Do you think police are right to use this technology to track down criminals? Are people right to be concerned?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using facial recognition technology?
- Are the police right to be trialling facial recognition technology to track down criminals? Are people right to be concerned?
- Should schools in this country use facial recognition technology in the classroom? Explain your answer.
This contact form is available only for logged in users.